Thursday, January 13, 2005

Weird Scientology

I'm all about freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc - c'mon, I'm half Jewish, half Presbyterian. The one thing that I don't "get" or really know why people believe in is Scientology. Now, I'm not trying to be close-minded, and it gets a bad-rap from the non-members of the world, but I think I need to really understand it from the outside in. Sometimes, it seems like a cult (granted people that that about MindSpring in our hey-day).

Let me explain why I am saying all this. So yesterday, I went to visit a friend of mine at her place of business. She told me what time to be there and that I should plan to be there for an hour. I was early (didn't know how bad traffic would be) and the girl at the front desk, January, recognized me (I had been there earlier in the week to pick something up). She didn't know my name and she didn't know my relationship to Leslie, but she was really nice and sweet and told me to listen to the radio for when she would be done (the show she does ends at 9 and then she has a pre-taped 1-hour - 90's at 9). So I sat and waited.

About 10 minutes later, January went looking and found that Leslie was in a post-show meeting and came back to tell me they usually didn't take that long. So I sat and waited patiently. Then, a really hot guy walked in. He was there to see Matt (whom I had heard was stuck in traffic and running late). He came and sat down next to me. Let me take moment to explain this lobby. It isn't huge, but it has this giant wall of a TV (projection) and then 5 backed bar-stool type chairs in front of the TV (at an acceptable distance). Then there is this not-so comfortable bench bolted to the wall. It's kinda industrial looking and metal. So I guess this guy followed my lead and figured the metal bench was more comfortable than the bar stools. He sat there for about 10 minutes while we watched "Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica" (can I help it if they had MTV on all day). I did get to see an EarthLink commercial with my friend Erik in it - that was cool!

Then I guess he caught my eye (I wasn't checking him out, ok. There is a conference room right off the lobby and I was watching the Ad folks). Anyway, he turned and said hey and how was I. I exchanged the usual plesantries and then went back to watching MTV (did I mention there was no sound as the radio was being piped in?). Next thing I know, he turns and tells me how nervous he is and isn't sure why he was there. So, you know me, I'm super friendly, so I asked him why. Thus ensued the flirty back-and-forth conversation.

So his name is Scott, and he works for an organization who helps get kids off the street and rehabed. Great cause! We talk more about the organization and how the program works. I spoke up and made some crack about at least someone is doing something (I'm a big advocate for helping people kick their drug habits and have faith in the potential of people). He loved this - totally fed off it. Anyway, then it comes out - he went through the program (sigh) and was homeless 18-months ago. He had a 12-year cocaine addiction (double sigh). He is now clean, and has been for the same 18-month period. Awesome! Okay, so not a bad thing. At least he has his second chance at life, etc. Who cares, the past is the past, right? So we talk more about the organization and says the radio station called him and he is nervous about having to promote their non-profit organization (basically looking for support). So I explained that all he really has to do is sell himself in this situation. He is living proof of how good the system can be. Then he starts telling me about the National Board of Directors...Tom Cruise..., John Travolta..., and by the way, have I head of L. Ron Hubbard.... Scientology. I can pick 'em can't I?

Oh how I longed for fresh lobster.

Okay, so Matt finally showed up, begging forgiveness. Off walked the hottie with baggage. So I have decided, I need to learn about this thing called Scientology before making any rash judgements. I'm open-minded. I belonged to the cult called MindSpring in my day.

Anyway, dear January kept going to see where Leslie was, but she was in a meeting. Apparently, she was concerned about disturbing her (even though we had an appointment) and I am too nice a person to push it. I gave up after almost 2 hours (I'm a busy woman too).

So later, I got an email about how sorry Leslie was and she was so annoyed that January didn't come and get her (as she sat in her meetings waiting for me to show up). I'm really hoping she isn't in too much trouble, but we have regrouped and are meeting tomorrow. But I feel bad for January - she was so nice and everything. But I'm guessing she may know better who I am tomorrow and it won't be a repeat of yesterday. I hope.

6 days til Lobster-fest!

No comments: