Saturday, January 22, 2005

I'm Way Up Here

Hey kids -

Sorry I missed yesterday, but it was a nutty day for a Friday. I found myself leaving a 1-hour meeting 4 times to handle things that couldn't wait (including another meeting). It's official, I have blocked off my Fridays so that they aren't quite so zany in the future. Oh, how I needed a big drink.

I actually decided that I should abstain last night since I knew I would be drinking tonight and drank both nights last weekend. How like, grown up and mature of me :)

So yesterday - odd. Some weird things came up and people, friends, needing shrinking. Not literally a reduction in size, but a kind ear to listed and help try and exercise some inner demons. One friend is getting a raw deal from her grand-boss while another had something happen to him that he should have seen coming while yet another had a panic attack about how his boss and grand-boss are out to get him. I'm here to help.

I headed home fully expecting a boring night watching movies (did I mention I have 370+ DVDs I am committed to getting through this year?). Angie ended up coming over to hang out and play board games (yes, I am THAT boring). We played one game then headed out for food. When we came back, I think I was expecting us to play another game, but instead we took a crazy journey down amnesia lane.

I had gone through a box of old VHS tapes a couple of nights prior and found a concert tape from when I worked for a band (2 trillion years ago) called Memory Dean. We watched the tail-end of the tape which is this song called Rap Music Sucks (you have to understand that this song is really all about celebrating GOOD rap music). When I started working for the boys, there were 3 of them and this song was maybe 2 minutes long. By the time they released their big label CD, the song was almost 10 minutes long (plus they added a drummer, a dear friend, Larry and a Tour Manager, Shawn - see previous post).

Angie and I sat and watched the performance of the 10 minute version and couldn't believe it had been almost 8 years since this show (Angie taped it from the sound booth for us). This lead us into reliving Memory Dean stories and shows (some in different states) and bands we opened for and opened for us. We were much more than Band-Aids, we were a part of the team.

This lead into drunken nights in bars, which lead us to relive our days with Still Rain, the Atlanta Knights and the Macon Whoopee (hell the entire CHL). It was almost surreal, like we were talking about movies we had seen or someone else's lives. But honestly, it all makes me smile so much. It all has made me who I am today and has given me great stories to tell my grandkids (yes, I am aware I need to have kids in order to have grandkids).

I have great friends and a great life - hell, even Angie told me she was envious of my life right now. I'm not sure why, but I guess you usually want what you haven't got - but I do have a pretty cool best friend who keeps me in check on a regular basis.

This has been a pretty great week for me - I just am really happy in my life and as much as I would like to credit one person for making me realize this, I think it is me who helped me get here...as odd as that sounds (and some of you may not believe).

I promise tomorrow I will post something less heavy and quite humorous (this is the Robert's night where I will be drinking), so there is a good chance for some embarrassing Lindy stories to tell tomorrow!

I wish you all peace, love and Vodka!


I won't hold you down...I will let you go...I won't pull you back...I think you know me better than that. --Marcel

No comments: