Thursday, January 27, 2005

Run and Hide

Movie Review: Hide and Seek

Day 26 of 2005 and I have only seen 3 movies...those of you recovering from the shock, feel free to take a minute to collect yourself before continuing...at least I haven't used any hard earned cash for any of the 3 (thanks Les!).

Hide and Seek is by all accounts a horror/scary movie...I am not big on these, but this one looked really good and how can you complain with the likes of Robert De Niro, adorable yet creepy Dakota Fanning and Amy Irving. Now, of course I like Dakota as she is a Georgia girl who restores my faith in actors. She is a 20-year-old in an 11-year old body and is more accomplished than many actresses who have been doing this for 10 times longer. She was the one redeeming factor of this movie.

Now look, 20th Century Fox made a big stink about protecting the "shocking twist" until the very last minute - but I turned to Angie before the movie and basically revealed the plot twist to her - funny thing is she said she figured the same thing I did. Sad really.

This movie was not the least bit scary or suspensful. I kept checking my watch trying to do the math to figure out how much longer I had to endure such pitiful story-telling.

So kids, save your money and your time (although I don't think it was much longer than 90 minutes) and rent this one. De Niro should have stuck with Focker's fare. Odds are he will still be making money off of that long after this movie is forgotton. I think I need to rewatch Ronin to get the bad De Niro taste out of my mouth.

Now - aside from the movie review - what else is going on with me? Well, after my post yesterday about my co-workers who are getting screwed by poor management, one of them was quite upset that I did not detail his plan for dealing with such bullshit. So here goes - the names have been changed to protect the goofy:

1) Misdirection - A classic tactic in any situation where you are trying to get the heat off yourself.

2) Clean and Sober - Keep your shit clean and there will be no cause for anyone to question you.

3) What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law! - In the movie classic, Smokey and the Bandit (the first one kids, not the crappy sequels), Burt does it best when he thumbs his nose at the law just to win a bet and get the girl. So the point is, help the girl get out of a bad situation with no regard for yourself.

4) Damn the Man! - As with any company, you should always look out for the cogs in the company wheels - after all, look what happened to Initech when they started laying people off..."it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire..."

5) Keep joking - A jumper cable walks into a bar and asks for a drink. The bartender says "ok, ok I'll give you a drink, but don't start anything..." You gotta keep your sense of humor...is it time for the Animal Crackerlympics?

No comments: