Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Final Countdown

So after a long year of movies (103 to be exact), I feel I need to rank them. Now while I'm an ambitious person, it would take me way too long to rank them all. So instead, I'm giving you the top 10 and the bottom 10. Now, please note that I get a lot of passes to free movies and with my lack of financial standing, I cannot turn such things down (although, I think I skipped about 10 movies I had passes for due to scheduling conflicts or a lack of interest). Also, occasionally I will go to a movie to kill time until the movie I really want to watch starts. One more thing, if you don't know me, let me explain. I get to the movies early and don't leave before the end...ever - even crappy flicks that turned my stomach, like Event Horizon. So - on with the show!

Top 10
1) Garden State
I know this is no surprise to anyone. I haven't shut up about this movie since I screened it in July and got to talk to Zach Braff and have him sign my scrubs. Still love it...it should still be nominated. 'Nuff said.

2) Sideways
Wine and comedy. Nothing better and great acting to go along with a really well written story. If you haven't seen it, what exactly are you waiting for?

3) Finding Neverland
Johnny Depp strikes again and as a real guy, too (No, Jack Sparrow is not a real person). Excellent story, amazing performances, no question there will be nominations.

4)(tie) The Incredibles
Pixar rocks...need I say more?

4) The Phantom of the Opera
Ahhhhh...Gerard Butler...yummmmmmmm. He deserves a nomination and he can enter my living room anytime he wants. How long do I have to wait for Beowulf & Grendel? Too long.

6) Ocean's Twelve
Cheers to making sequals who surpass the original. People who don't agree with me just don't get it. Get over yourselves!

7) Collateral
Some things really DO get better with age, right Tom? It doesn't hurt having Michael Mann leading the way. But, I'm a bit concerned that M:I-3 is in pre-production. C'mon JJ Abrams, give it that special touch of yours!

8) The Bourne Supremacy
Again, better than the original. This one just squeaks by The Bourne Identity. When is Bourne Ultimatum getting on your schedule, Matt?

9) Hero
Gotta love the action flick complete with sub-titles. Of course, you knew I would like it. I usually enjoy all the Foreign films that get nominated (too bad this was nominated for 2003).

10) Lost in Translation
Yes, this was a movie from last year, but I didn't see it until 2004. Therefore it counts and explains its place at the bottom of my top 10 list. But it is as great as everyone says.


Now onto the crap!

Bottom 10 or so - in alphabetical order
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Every 3rd Will Ferrell movie doesn't suck - this wasn't it. How does he have 11 movies in production for 2005 and 2006...oh wait, he plays the odds...

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
Why make a sequal if you are just poorly remaking the first movie?

Chasing Liberty
I should have known better...but, I was just killing time.

Christmas with the Kranks
Tim Allen, the kind of Christmas, ust doesn't deliver when he isn't playing Santa.

De-Lovely
Damn, tell me again why you spoiled Cole Porter for me?

Jersey Girl
C'mon Kevin Smith, stick with Jay and Silent Bob next time. I was disappointed (but not as much as most were).

King Arthur
Clive Owen needs to get back behind the wheel of a BMW...STAT!

Ladder 49
Who knew a movie could make Backdraft look even better?

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Love the cast, but this sequal fell short...where are the scenes of the gang running in and out of doors down a long hallway? Use your history!

Stateside
Not sure what this movie was made for, when I figure it out, I'll let you know.

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
Poor Maggie, all she wanted was a movie to go to so she could eat popcorn and have ice cream afterwards. This only fit the bill because it was technically a movie. Good thing she walked out of the theatre talking about The Incredibles!

Without a Paddle
I love you Seth Green, and it was cool seeing you at the screening, but stick with good movies and their sequals. The Italian Job II?? Thanks for listening!


The good news is I didn't pay for about half of these. Some were screenings and some I snuck into (shhhh). But damn, I saw some bunk this year, didn't I?

No comments: