Friday, January 14, 2005

Sales Rats Are Cute

Movie Review: In Good Company

Okay, I love About a Boy, so I jumped at the chance for another Paul Weitz directed flick. Apparently, the material was better before (this movie wasn't written by Nick Horby.

Now, this movie was good, but it could have been better. I have said it before, but I am happy to repeat that I will watch Dennis Quaid do and say anything. But really, Topher Grace is really talented. Each time I see a movie with him, I am surprised what an excellent actor he is. Not that I expect him to be bad or anything, but I never watched "That '70s Show" and initially only knew him from his cameo in Ocean's Eleven, playing himself, a stuck-up hollywood young actor with money to burn. But since then, he has done a couple of roles where he really stood out - this is no exception. But truly, his funniest was his repeat cameo in Ocean's Twelve.

This movie is one that takes a different path than you expect, and is a bit disconcerting from those of us who have been laid-off. But again, this is the era of movies that aren't predictable and this one definitely delivered. It wasn't heavy and the characters were human...normal...loveable. This was a hopeful movie that kind of puts the jet-setting 20-something crowd in their places. The morale of this story is, newer isn't always better.

I will say where the similarities lie between AAB and IGC - the main character only really starts living the life he wants once he meets and befriends someone unlikely and learns to grow into the man he could be. A great follow-up for Weitz, but the dialog needed a bit of tweaking - the comedy was there, and the audience was laughing out loud, but there was room for improvement.

No comments: