Monday, January 17, 2005

To Sleep; Perchance To Dream...Ay, There's The Rub

in·som·nia
Pronunciation: in-'säm-nE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from insomnis sleepless, from in- + somnus sleep -- more at SOMNOLENT
: prolonged and usually abnormal inability to obtain adequate sleep
- in·som·ni·ac /-nE-"ak/ adjective or noun

So I have been sleeping weird for a couple of nights. I have a feeling why it is, but I think it is probably a combination of things. I am distracted - in a big way. My brain will not shut off and it is bugging me. Time for action!

After my weekend of drinking and hanging out in a bar (please read previous posts), I decided that as I plan for the annual Lindy-Birthday-Bash (which was non-existent while in California), I'm thinking that this year we should take full advantage of Robert's since it is such a cool place to hang. So onto current events...

Yesterday was pretty uneventful. I did some straightening of my apartment (it is kind of a disaster). I still had my Christmas boxes out and needed to put them away. I need to regain control because it is time for another Texas Hold 'Em Showdown. I can't have all my friends over if my place is a complete mess. I watched a couple of movies on DVD (well, I had them on in the background). I watched some crap I had on TiVo (again, in the background). I did some work on my computer for my mother's catering business. BOR-ing.

So now what is in store for Lindy this week? Not exactly sure - a world of possibilities. I have a really good feeling about this week. I have a smile on my face and a song in my heart ;) I actually really do have a song trapped in my head, but it isn't one anyone would know. It is called Beowulf (the entire title is Beowulf, Captain Hook and the Albatross). It is by this band I used to work for (and go on the road with) called Memory Dean. It has been a Blast From the Past kind of weekend and so it is somehow appropriate.

So while I contemplate the life I have and the life I want, this song is running as a soundtrack at the moment. So in the beautiful words crafted by Mr. Bubba Dean:

Beowulf, Captain Hook & The Albatross
Then she let me tell it by myself
No embellishment for me
I was sailing on a tiny ship
Across a burning sea

My good friend Beowulf was at the wheel
He said he knew the way to go
So I sat with Captain Hook and talked a while
About his girlfriend who lived in Mexico

O babe you know I’m all right
I’ve got good company with me
The sun is shining and the wind is right
We’re just a little lost at sea

Captain Hook and I we took another smoke
“Look at the Albatross” he said
“Be nice to him” I said thinking it was a joke
Then the seabird he landed on my head

Days went by and the ship began to toss
The waves were getting pretty steep
I called on Beowulf to pet the Albatross
But he was at the wheel asleep

O babe you know I’m all right
I’ve got good company with me
The sun is shining and the wind is right
We’re just a little lost at sea

I woke up Beowulf and took his light
He went below to get some sleep
Captain Hook assured me that we’d make it through the night
Though the water was getting pretty deep

The Albatross alone sat still and satisfied
Captain Hook had nothing left to say
He kissed the Albatross as we watched the waves subside
And the seabird he flew away

O babe you know I’m all right
I’ve got good company with me
The sun is shining and the wind is right
We’re just a little lost at sea

No comments: