Thursday, February 10, 2005

You Get the Chicken By Hatching the Egg, Not By Smashing It

Hey guys - sorry my posts have been so short this week, but it has been kind of crazy and I haven't had a lot of time.

So Tuesday night, I was having a conversation with my niece (Maggie, who is 3) and she was telling me about her day and said she wasn't going to school on Wednesday. Now, I knew why, but since she is 3 and you want her to learn, you ask her why?'

Maggie: Ummm, I don't know, Mama you tell me
Aunt D: Is tomorrow a special day?
Maggie: YES!
Mama: What special day is it, Maggie?
Maggie: 中国新年 (Chinese New Year)
Aunt D: Really? What year will it be tomorrow?
Maggie: Ummm, Mama?
Mama: Is it year of the Dog?
Maggie: Nooooooo
Mama: Is it year of the Cat?
Maggie: Nooooooo
Mama: Is it year of the Dragon?
Maggie: Nooooooo
Mama: What did you make in school today, Maggie?
Maggie: A CHICKEN!!!
Aunt D: Oh, so it's the year of the Chicken? Thank you, Punkin!

And so the 3-year-olds have it! It's the Year of the Chicken! Now, it took me close to 24 hours to realize that it was actually the Year of the ROOSTER! I'm such an idiot. So I figured that today's theme needed to be chickens. Thus the quote above and the joke below.

The Lobster left today and I wasn't around when he did. Very sad and depressing, especially in light of certain revelations on Tuesday...maybe one day I will post what those are, but we'll see. Many people read this blog and some things you just have to keep to yourself!

So...with that I leave you...幸福的新年

The pig and the chicken were on their way to breakfast, trying to decide what to have. When chicken said, ''Let's have ham and eggs.'' The pig then replied, ''That's fine for you, it's a small donation on your part, but it's a total sacrifice for me.

No comments: