Saturday, February 12, 2005

CPUs, Roasted Garlic and Boston Creme Pie

Sorry I missed yesterday, but since I took a work vacation, I decided to take a break from all things computer EXCEPT to build my new machine that I am posting from. Wahoo!

So I woke up yesterday morning as if I had to go to work...blah...so I figured what the hell and showered, got dressed and headed to my parents house and all my new computer parts. I couldn't wait to get started.

Now I am the least techie person in my family. But last time, I watched my brother build my computer, so I felt confident I could handle it. I took everything out of the boxes and laid it out on my work space and got to work. The irony was, in order to build my computer, I had to first take it apart...clearly designed by a man :)

Anywho, so I took out the CPU cooler and installed my P4 Processor and returned the cooler to it's rightful place. I then installed 512MB of RAM, my old harddrive (which was fine) and my old DVD-RW Drive (also survived the great computer crash of 2005). Then the machine wouldn't boot - DAMMIT!

It turns out, in Bill Gates ultimate wisdom, XP realized this was a new machine and therefore insisted on a reinstall...FINE. We reinstalled XP, and now everything works relatively well. Only problem is, when it boots, I have to hit F1 each time because it thinks I have a floppy disk drive (does anyone have those anymore?) and it just isn't working...(sigh). I'll figure it out.

So then, I ended up helping my mom cook all day. It wasn't in my original plan, but my mom needed help and I enjoy cooking. We got 9 dishes cooked between the two of us, which was pretty productive considering we didn't start until around 1:30pm.

Angie and I headed out to OK Cafe for a late dinner as by around 9pm we both realized neither of us had eaten since early in the day.

All in all it was a relatively productive day and by the time I went to bed at 2am, I was spent. Now another day, and I will do my best to try and crash my new machine by loading a billion songs onto my iPod...stay tuned!

No comments: