Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Year of the Drama

The Year: 1993
The Category: ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
The Winner: Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia"
The Other Nominees:
Daniel Day-Lewis in "In the Name of the Father"
Laurence Fishburne in "What's Love Got to Do with It"
Anthony Hopkins in "The Remains of the Day"
Liam Neeson in "Schindler's List

Robbed: Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire"

Okay - no question Tom was the bomb. He rocked. He was amazing. He moved me. That said, and there were a lot of great performances this year, but everything was so serious and so heavy a performance...how can you over look Robin dressed as a woman. Such a great performance and such a comedic genius. This was one of the most solid and enjoyable performances of 1993 - no question!.

As for this year's pick, the Nominees are:
Don Cheadle in "Hotel Rwanda"
Johnny Depp in "Finding Neverland"
Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Aviator"
Clint Eastwood in "Million Dollar Baby"
Jamie Foxx in "Ray"

Look, out of this list, the choice is going to be obvious. This will most likely go to Jamie...unless they give him Supporting Actor and go with the sentimental favorite, Clint. But truly, this should go to Johnny. Now, I haven't seen three of these performances, but I have heard enough to know who is probably going to win. But my vote is for Johnny playing such a touching and heartfelt role with such grace and honesty. One day, you'll be the winner, Johnny!

I do feel I need to make one comment here - why was Paul Giamatti passed over (over looked, whatever)? Can anyone explain this to me? He was great in Confidence, amazing in American Splendor and phenominal in Sideways. What's the deal, Oscar? You think Thomas and Virgina gave better performances? I don't think so. Help me out here...I'm not saying he was better than whoever wins, but he should have garnered a nomination. Show the man you care about his work. Okay, I'm done.

That's all for today...tomorrow it's BEST ACTRESS!

No comments: