Sunday, May 01, 2005

It's a Navy Thing

Movie Review: Sahara

I may be the odd man out, but I really enjoyed this movie. Now, I have not yet read the book (starting tonight) and I was not expecting great cinematic history to be made...I just wanted to watch something fun and adventurous - which I did.

I will say that Matthew McConaughey seemed the same as he does in most of his movies, but I didn't mind so much as it just makes Dirk Pitt sexy for my viewing pleasure. And Steve Zahn, as the ever wise-cracking sidekick, Al Giordino, has been forever type-cast and the funny man who never gets the girl.

There was a LOT going on, and it was over 2 hours, but really it didn't seem too bad - I didn't really notice the time. There were some laughs and some adventure and a lot of desert sand. Oh yeah, and Penélope Cruz as the WHO doctor trying to track down an epidemic...okay, this plot line was hard to become invested in, but it worked to further the story and bring the adventures together for the big finally (of course, all plot points converge).

The script needed some work and a change of scenery would have been nice, but overall it was not a waste of my 2 hours on a Saturday. I needed this break and I look forward to a possible 2nd shot at a Dirk Pitt adventure on the big screen - I think it could and should be done...at least give it a shot.

If you want to have a little fun, you should see this movie as long as you are not expecting the next Indiana Jones. I know I wasn't :)

No comments: