Friday, April 29, 2005

When G.W. Bush Speaks...

...people change the channel.

So let me ask you all a question, why would a President who rarely has press conferences, choose to do so the first night of May Sweeps (new OC, new Survivor, new Apprentice, new ER) to address the nation and answer questions about a solution to Social Security when he has no solution for Social Security?

I'm baffled.

I try and keep politics out of this Blog as I hate to alienate anyone, but I am really confused by this press conference. The networks even cut him off after 1 hour (but kept The OC preempted).

So here is what he had to say:

GWB: There will be no price gouging at gas pumps in America.
LHF: Amen, Brother...it's happening now - fix it!
GWB: Congress also needs to address the challenges facing Social Security.
LHF: We know this and you keep saying this - get a move on!
GWB: Social Security worked fine during the last century, but the math has changed. A generation of baby boomers is getting ready to retire. I happen to be one of them.
LHF: Good...think only of yourself. Okay, and my parents generation, but are you just realizing you are all at retirement age and cannot afford to? This has been a long time coming.
GWB: We have a shared responsibility to fix Social Security and make the system better, to keep seniors out of poverty and expand ownership for people of every background. And when we do, Republicans and Democrats will be able to stand together and take credit for what is right for our children and our grandchildren.
LHF: So what is your point? You expect us all to be skipping down the Yellow Brick Road, holding hands and singing? I don't think anything you will suggest or implement will bridge the gap between the parties...these days it is all based on the age old feud of the Montagues and the Capulets...even in death, how will anything change?

I would rather have watched the OC they have been advertising all week - next time, save it for a night when nothing is on W! At least I got Survivor thanks to my quick TiVo skills.

No comments: