Monday, May 30, 2005

The Longest Day

Movie Review: The Longest Yard

So my mom is off to California - Phase 2 of the Baby Patrol is now in progress. What does that mean for me? Okay, besides the fact that it means 2 weeks until I get to go (Phase 3), it means my dad is without my mom for 2 weeks...and he is lost without her.

It is actually pretty sweet - he gets lonely and demands quite a bit of attention. I figured I would lessen the pain by hanging out with him on Saturday. I knew I wanted to see a movie (my movie buddy moved to LA and we had barely seen anything together all year anyway) and I had gift certificates for The Flying Biscuit I wanted to use up (since I had bought them to use with said movie buddy and she ditched me and went with someone else - isn't that special?).

So we dropped my mom at the airport and headed back to my parents house to watch the Braves game before the flick. We headed to the theatre and watched a pretty decent movie.

Not having seen the entire first movie, and even then watched it long ago, it was hard for me to compare it. So basically, the movie had funny parts, was pretty predictable, but entertaining. That's all you can really ask for $7 and to see something that would interest my dad. I figured that anything else on my list would not have been interesting to him in the least. See it, but save your money and Netflix it.

Next, we drove to midtown and had an awesome dinner at the Biscuit. I think my dad was actually surprised. He had never eaten there before but I knew it was his kind of place.

Organic Field Greens Salad with a Flying Biscuit
Fruit Bruschetta with Brie
Margarita Chicken with Corn Soufflé and Sautéed Spinach


So after we stuffed ourselves (and had an awesome waitress take care of us) and I paid the bill, we walked out to my car. I commented to my dad that it was too bad we stuffed ourselves as I had planned to take him to Jake's for ice cream afterwards. Well, he perked up and insisted we go to Jake's anyway (my father has never turned down ice cream in his life). We drove around the block and I pulled into a place at Jake's. We just beat the crowd in there too (something was going on at Piedmont Park that afternoon). I got my usual cone with Brown Sugah Vanilla and my dad couldn't decide between that and Chocolate Slap Yo Mama...so he got a cone with both.

Those of you have eaten Jake's know that this ice cream is really soft. So he had to eat it over a bowl while the entire cone kept threatening to topple over on him. But he was successful - not a drop spilled!

So I dropped him at home with plans for Sunday night barbeque (be over sometime after 1pm, he said).

Sunday was cool - I napped a lot while we watched baseball, the Indy 500 (a chick came in 4th!) and LPGA golf. My dad smoked some chicken leg quarters before putting the ribs on and I handled the sauce-production between breaks sitting down.

So we had an awesome meal before I headed home to crash and had already prepared our lunch for Monday.

BBQ Baby Back Ribs with Lindy's Rib Rub and Mom's BBQ Sauce
Grilled Corn on the Cob
Pete and Sam's Spinach


And Monday Lunch (be over around noon) was excellent as well:
Pulled Chicken BBQ Sandwiches

All-in-all it was a busy and hectic weekend. And I ran errands! Too bad I have to return to work tomorrow...:(

No comments: