Saturday, May 07, 2005

And It's Giacomo By a Landslide

And no one bet on him...not at my party, anyway. A longshot Won the Kentucky Derby. It isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, but what a shocker!

So our party was a raging success. Despite the tar stained floor (they are resurfacing the streets in my parent's neighborhood) and party crashers (there was a dueling party down the street and some guests were confused) and phantom bets (Linda K Grum who?), we had a grand old time!

The food was amazing, even if I do say so myself, and we had an excellent helper from the SCA here in Atlanta. For those of you not in attendance, the menu was as follows:

Baked Ham
Buttermilk Biscuits
Sweet Potato Biscuits
Oven-Roasted Tomato Tart
Mushroom Tartlets
Prosciutto Wrapped Hearts of Palm
Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Puréed Broccoli and Roasted Garlic Canapés
Black Pepper Almonds
Hot Brown Dip
Fresh Strawberries with Powdered Sugar and Chocolate Ganache
Boiled Shrimp with Remoulade and Tartar Sauce
Winner's Circle Strawberry Cake
Mint Julep Kisses


We had a lot of fun and I was completely exhausted afterwards...I love entertaining, but sometimes I wish I didn't have to do any work!

Which reminds me, it has been entirely too long since I had a Poker Night. And with Angie leaving, I don't know if I will be able to fit one in between now and then...DAMN.

Anyway, the horses for Win, Place and Show were and their payoffs at the track were:
10 Giacomo - Win: 102.60 Place: 45.80 Show: 19.80
18 Closing Argument- Place: 70.00 Show: 24.80
12 Afleet Alex - Show: 4.60

So since no one bet on the winning horse at my house, we paid out for horses 2, 3 and 4...as if an amatuer won the race (you golf fans will understand this logic). So we paid $21-1 for Closing Argument, $.30-1 for Afleet Alex and $1-1 for the number 4 horse (which now I forget).

Anyway, it was fun and now I am exhausted and therefore need to sleep.

Later kids!

No comments: