Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I’ve Always Wanted to Lift an Immense Quadruped Over My Head

Movie Review: The Grudge

So I am a little behind in my reviews – sorry about that, but life has been a bit, shall we say, nutty?! Anyway, I’ve been a bit busy, but still manage to work in the occasional movie, or other form of entertainment (concerts, plays, etc). If it weren’t for my “hook-up” with the movie passes, I think I might go broke seeing 100 movies a year in the theatres. Tonight was no exception – we saw The Grudge.

Let me explain the history of this movie. It is based on Japanese lore, which states that if someone dies in a fit of rage, or immense sadness, a curse is left behind. This curse basically lives or haunts the place where the person died and proceeds to kill anyone who touches it. Enter Sarah-Michelle Gellar, a.k.a. Buffy the Vampire Slayer who is a nurse/social-worker living in Tokyo with her boyfriend and just happens to be sent to this house where such a curse resides. This movie was originally done in Japan and was called Ju-on and was by the same writer/director. Even the actor who plays the little boy in the original is in this new version. Think The Ring vs. Ringu.

So the movie was great – lots of scary parts, great audience reaction and not as predictable as you might think. If you like suspense and horror flicks – go see this movie. Oh, and Jason Behr – very sexy with his long hair and goatee!

Now for real culture, I saw Bell, Book and Candle at the Neighborhood Playhouse in Decatur, Georgia this past weekend. I have to preface my review with the fact that I am probably the greatest Jimmy Stewart fan of ALL time. I love everything he ever did and was devastated when he died in 1997. That said, I went in with not-very-high expectations – I mean this is local theatre performing a classic tale. However, a friend from work was starring in it, so I had high hopes for him. I was pleasantly surprised.

So the actors were good, with a couple of exceptional standouts. Jason Vaughn (okay, I’m a little biased as he is my friend from work) was extraordinary as the straight-laced, debonair publisher, Shep, who falls under Gillian’s spell. Keep his name handy – I’m sure you will see it in the future. And this says a lot for me, as he was replacing my idol! And Coco Chalfant as quirky Queenie – well she just stole the show. Who is this woman? She made me snigger all night (for Muggles that means snicker/giggle). I wanted more of her on stage, for sure! The rest of the cast seemed to be trying too hard – they seemed uptight in comparison. Maybe Jason and Coco were just too good for this production? I’m not sure, but I would have been happy with a 2-man show! Don’t get me wrong, I know how hard it is to do what they do – I’ve done it – but I guess I just missed Kim Novak and Jack Lemmon!

If you get the chance before the end of October, go and see this production - I think you will enjoy yourself!

Off to bed - more tomorrow!

No comments: