Friday, December 31, 2004

The Scottish Angel of Music

Movie Review: The Phantom of the Opera

Last one of the year folks, and was it a doozy! Can I just say, who knew Gerard Butler could sing like that??? I'm hooked. Okay, so I was hooked on him long ago (can you say "the only good thing about Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life?" Also, I was in love with the character of André Marek from the book, but Gerard certainly made him more appealing in the film version of Timeline!

Okay, so I have rambled on enough about Gerard...maybe...did I mention that I could see him as the next James Bond? I love his accent too :)

Anyway, as I was saying, I was thoroughly impressed with this movie. I went in with low expectations, except for Gerard - mainly so I wasn't disappointed. And WOW - what a show. It is very much like the stage play, but with more depth and darkness. Having seen the play 3 times on the stage, I am quite a fan. I found myself singing (to myself) the entire movie and really pulling for The Phantom for once. (Okay, I love Michael Crawford's voice, but he is no where as sexy as Gerard playing this role). Here is what was amazing about the Phantom in this version - you feel for him. You want him to hold onto his love for this girl who has filled his soul with light. He really portrayed the fear of being undesirable and unloved and alone so well. But when it came down to it, he felt more for his love than for himself and that is one of the best traits anyone could ever have. I really identified with him.

Gerard deserves a nomination for this role, although it is a tough pool this year. And truly, Joel Schumacher's vision and direction really brought this to life. I can't think of anyone who could have done a better job. And having THE scribe of Andrew Lloyd Webber at the helm didn't hurt either.

I did the theatre a favor, though. I'm truly an Alto, so I really just mouthed the words to myself rather than trying to hit Christine's high Soprano notes. Boy, it makes me miss singing in the choir...

No comments: