Monday, December 06, 2004

Whister's Daughter

Movie Review: Blade: Trinity

So let it be said that I am a sucker for sequels. If I enjoyed the first movie, odds are I will spend the money (or at least the time) to see the 2nd and possibly 3rd movies in a series...I would guess that's why the studios keep on making them.

Thanks to Leslie at 99X and Nick at Chud, I don't have to spend as much money on these as I used to. Whew.

So the first Blade movie was really good - I love a good vampire hunter flick - not to mention, I'll watch Wesley Snipes do just about anything on screen - yummy! The second movie, left quite a bit to be desired. But this third one caught my eye during the trailer. Quippy characters, yummy co-stars and more vamps. I was sold. Honestly, it may have fallen lower on the list of priorities if I was going to have to shell out $7 or $8 on this one, but free is good.

So truly, this movie is more about the sleeper cells of vampire hunters known as The Nightstalkers - a band of misfits helping keep the vamp headcount to a minimum. Quite a shock since the first two movies implied that it was all Blade's work that kept the undead at bay. This gang of renegades has really cool weapons, a blind mastermind of a scientist who has created the vampire Ebola virus and her daughter who looks as sweet as honey, but comes up with doozies like "My friends are going to come and kill you." Next comes the kick ass Abigail, played by Jessical Biel - I have never been a big fan of hers, but her fighting style brought me back to the days of Buffy and the Scooby Gang. Then there is hottie, Ryan Reynolds, whose witty comments and buff exterior make him a welcomed addition to the Blade series. My friend Randee went out with him a couple times; she neglected to tell me how yummy he truly was.

Now, add the villains. The original vampire (known in folklore as Dracula), was kinda cool, and the disturbed Danica, played by Parker Posey round out the cast - can someone please find her a good endontist before it's too late?!?

Overall I enjoyed this movie much more than expected - I will probably buy the DVD only to watch Wesley and Ryan with their rippling muscles and washboard abs. What can I say, I'm a chick!

So this leads me to rate some all time sequels in their order of greatness. Enjoy!

Star Wars Series:
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith (I hope)
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Alien Series:
1. Aliens
2. Alien
33. (tie) Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection

Star Trek Series (the original):
1. The Wrath of Khan
2. The Voyage Home
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. The Search for Spock
5. The Motion Picture
6. The Final Frontier

Star Trek: The Next Generation Series: (you cannot rate these with the original)
1. First Contact
2. Generations
3. Nemesis
4. Insurrection

Indiana Jones Series:
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. The Last Crusade
?. Indiana Jones 4 (this has to be better then TOD)
13. Temple of Doom

Jason Bourne Series: **honorable mention since it rarely happens that the sequel is that much better than the original.
1. The Bourne Supremacy
2. The Bourne Identity

That's all I can think of right now - I'm sure I will add more later. I never saw any of the Godfather flicks, which is why they do not appear in this post.

No comments: