Monday, December 13, 2004

Skipping Bad Christmas Movies

Movie Review: Christmas with the Kranks and Shall We Dance?

So I have to say, that some times I see a movie because it is convenient for me. Christmas with the Kranks was one of those. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either. It had one or two scenes that were cute or funny, but they were mostly in the trailer. Tim Allen, the holiday movie king, had some moments, but mostly this was forced. Botox, tanning salons, itsy bitsy teenie weenie bathing suits and the battle with the 10 foot tall Frosty were quite predictable and a bit disappointing. Jamie Lee Curtis has been pretty good of late, picking her spots. We barely see her (maybe 1 movie a year) and this was a poor follow-up to the remake of Freaky Friday. It's hard enough seeing her in the mom roles, but she is better suited for the undercover agent mom and the stiff upper lip body switched mom, then the buttoned up, holiday boycotting, buy a hickory honey ham at whatever cost mom. Save your holiday cash for something more worthy.

So the reason for Kranks was to kill time until Shall We Dance?. I am a sucker for Richard Gere - let's face it. He is a platinum beauty and worth every penny, no matter what the role. I haven't missed one of his movies in over 11 years - this would be no different. Granted, I waited a long time (bascially I had no time to see it previously) and had to drive to bumble to get this one done this weekend. But it was worth it.

Look, if I had to give it an overall rating, I would say it was a C+, but I try very hard not to put such labels on films. It's too subjective, after all. But this movie did a couple of things well - dancing and entertainment. This movie didn't need J Lo specifically, but she played her minimal part well. But as a movie, there was little development as to why Richard just had to start taking dance classes. He didn't seem interested in cheating on his wife with J Lo, but they implied that from the beginning. He wanted to feel happy and why looking at a dispondant J Lo in the dance studio window made him think that he should start dancing, I just will never fully understand. But after a weekend of serious movies, I needed something just for the entertainment value alone. Otherwise, my week would have started on a weird footing - and I have enough weirdness in my life as it is.

Look, Richard is no Fred Astaire - no one ever can be again. But he is light on his feet and managed to take a brash, blonde, trailer-trash type dancer and make her look elegant and high-class on the dance floor - that was a feat. And Susan Sarandon has such range and is so believable in every role she undertakes - it was worth the $6.50.

No comments: