Sunday, December 12, 2004

Being Spanglish

Movie Review: Spanglish and Being Julia

First, I have to start this out with a bit of a rant. Why must the movie companies build trailers that completely misrepresent the actual movie people are spending their hard earned cash to view? This happens way too often for my taste, but I think I am one of the view who might still enjoy the picture. Thus bringing me to Spanglish.

I'm not a big Adam Sandler fan to begin with. But I do truly enjoy James L. Brooks' movies. Adam basically plays Thomas Keller. For those of you not into restaurants or the wine country, Thomas Keller is the owner and operator of The French Laundry in Yountville (Napa), California. This is the most sought-after reservation in all of the U.S. and it is more of a performance art piece than a meal at a restaurant...but I digress.

This movie was marketed as a Romantic Comedy involving a family and their Spanish-speaking maid. Instead, this movie is about said maid and her dealings with an off-kilter American family and how she learns to make her way in Los Angeles. Well done, Mr. Brooks. I was taken by surprise, and there were a couple of scenes where it dragged a bit, but over all, a break from the mold. It needs a run through the editing room, but there were a lot of aspects of this movie that I really enjoyed. Personally, I think Cloris Leachman stole the movie. This is great as a rental, but if you are looking for something out of the ordinary, take the time to go see this one.

Next up, Being Julia. Okay, this movie took some odd turns, and Annette Bening plays a great narcisist, but it was not what I went in expecting. The movie was on a pretty good run, and then it took a strange left at revitalized actress and then seemed to flounder a bit until suddenly it all became clear. It was like watching a great Agatha Christie novel unfold where all the suspects are brought into the study to discuss everyone's motives and watch the masterful mind of Hercule Poirot point the finger at the killer and no one's lives will ever be the same again. Fun!

Most people will not get this movie and will most likely get lost half way through Act II, but those select few will love this crazy romp through 1938 London's theatre scene. Ahhhh, I should have been living in the 30's - I would have had some fun :) One note - there is not enough of Jeremy Irons in this movie.

No comments: