Monday, December 27, 2004

Over the Top

Movie Review: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Okay, so I have been a bit remis in posting to this blog in the last 10 to 14 days. The holidays have kept me too busy and I just didn't make the time. I tried a couple of times in the last few days, but everytime I sat at the computer, Maggie came up wanting to play computer games with me. So, even though I saw these movies on separate days, I am posting 3 separate reviews instead of posting them all together...

Granted, I have not read the Lemony Snicket books - so take that into account when reading this review. I loved the story! I loved the kids (okay, I've been a fan of Liam Aiken's ever since The Object of My Affection - that Jennifer Aniston movie no one but me saw).

But seriously folks, Jim Carrey needs to learn that even though there are roles that seem tailor-made for him (The Riddler, The Grinch, Count Olaf), he needs to have a dimmer switch installed so the "over the top-ness" is not TOO over the top. He knows how to act - The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, The Majestic. Why does he not understand that even if the characters are from comic books or such that this does not mean that he has to play it so overboard that he is annoying.

Anyway, the movie was good, the other actors were excellent, but Jim Carrey just killed it being great.

Worth renting...

No comments: