Monday, December 27, 2004

The Song of the Recluse

Movie Review: The Aviator

I am a movie buff. I love movies, I see over 100 per year in the theatre (thank goodness a lot are free), but I am a movie buff who is NOT a big fan of Martin Scorsese. I know he is a genius, but his movies just aren't for me (except for The Color of Money ). This movie was almost the same, but I didn't dislike it. It was actually quite good.

Now, I learned a lot about Mr. Howard Hughes and am surprised that Leonardo DiCaprio played him so well. Who knew he had such versatility? Certainly not me.

I do think that other than Leo, the rest of the characters were quite flat and not nearly as interesting, save Cate Blanchett playing the legend,Katharine Hepburn - and quite convincingly I might add. She was so amazing and impressive - I almost forgot she was Cate and not Kate.

I would highly recommend this movie, but if you are not a Scorsese fan, you might want to wait and watch this at home. It is pretty intense and is 155 minutes - at least at home you can take a break and lighten up a bit after this heavy fare.

No comments: