Thursday, December 30, 2004

De-Lovlier

Movie Review: Beyond the Sea

I love Bobby Darin's music and I love Kevin Spacey, therefore I should love this movie. So I didn't love it, but I did like it a lot. Now just about anything was better than De-Lovely, but this is more what De-Lovely could have been.

They both jumped around and were a bit hard to follow, but in this one, the musical numbers were fantastical, much like with Chicago. Dancing in the streets and a big finale.

Look - this movie was somehow rooted in fact, but a lot of dream sequences and fantasies - so it was a bit hard to separate fact from fiction (plus the disclaimer at the end didn't help to clarify). However, it was well shot and Kevin is an exceptional singer. It just needed more Umph. More direction. More, je ne sais quois.

Nice job Kevin - I already had bought the soundtrack. But, this is most definately a rental if you are into this kind of thing. I would like to know, who was this kid, William Ulrich. I was quite impressed with him!

No comments: