Friday, July 21, 2006

A Snowball's Chance

Current mood: restless

Well kids, it is official...I have lost my mind. Yes, it is true; I have been swayed by pretty things and am showing that I really am a girly-girl most of the time. I talk big and I can hang with the boys - no problem - but the right man can make me melt if he pushes the right buttons.

So in follow-up to yesterday's post, I received 2 dozen long-stem purple roses (my absolute favorite ever) at work for no apparent reason. The funny thing is that another girl had received flowers from a customer for her help and so my "deliverer," Nabi, figured it was the same. I was a bit confused since it had been a few weeks since I had even talked to a customer, but okay, sure. But there were 2 boxes...

I opened the card and it was sappy, kind of sweet, but completely over the top - which I think was the point. I always appreciate the sentiment; I really do. However, this was going to take a lot of explanation to people here at work. I do my best to not discuss my dating-life here as it usually is disappointing enough not to have to rehash it with work friends. Therefore, most of my friends assume I am married or just private - quite a few seem genuinely surprised that I am single...or so they say :)

Anyway, formerly referred to as Bangs, his nickname is now being changed to Flowers (this is the 2nd time he has done this in 18 months).

I left work (leaving the flowers here as I did not need my entire apartment to smell of roses) and headed home, completely exhausted. I sacked out on my sofa and actually fell asleep until my phone rang at 10pm. It was Flowers. I was going to call him, really I was.

So we had a very nice chat and he said he was really on his way to Atlanta this time and get this, had a place to stay. Wow - was somebody listening? Anyway, he said he wanted to talk to me in person and me, the idiot, told him how to get to my place. WHAT? Yeah, yeah, I know. Did I mention that I had been awakened? I think I wasn't really using my brain yet. Too late now.

I got onto the XBox to kill a couple of hours and then, mid-way through a game with my playmates, my doorbell rang. Here is the bigger problem; some time between when I got off the phone and 2 hours later, I had totally forgotten he was coming - I had changed into my PJs. DAMN! I threw down my headset and went looking for something to throw on. Luckily I found a flannel shirt in my coat closet and I went flying down the stairs. Normally, I would have taken a few minutes to "freshen up" and make sure I looked good. Some days, I am such an airhead.

So I opened the door and damn, did he look good! I completely forgot why our relationship never worked out and suddenly I was all flustered and nervous. It was like this person at my door was someone I had never met in person but had talked to many times on the phone - like some cheesy internet dating deal. My heart was actually pounding. Shit, I was in trouble.

Flowers kissed me - very lightly, nothing too presumptuous. We walked up the stairs (I live in a townhouse) and I apologized for the disaster area that was my apartment. I also apologized that I was in the middle of a game and didn't want to bail on my playmates - he said he wanted to watch me play. So he watched me play for 40 minutes - which had to be completely boring, but he asked me a lot of questions and I answered them like the geek I am. He moved his way to the sofa next to me, but then decided he was tired of watching me shoot people (actually, watching me die a LOT).

I bailed on my playmates (having to answer a question or two as to why) and then gave him the "grand tour" of my place. I asked him to wait a few minutes while I responded to a few emails and then, we got down to the nitty-gritty - THE talk. It went surprisingly well. Thanks to Traci who had been my sounding board yesterday, I knew exactly what I wanted and what I needed to say - I am never that prepared!

Shockingly, he was completely receptive. I was floored, really. I explained that I wasn't in a place to be in a relationship, and certainly NOT a long distance one. I wasn't in a frame of mind to be living with anyone and I could not support him. I was open to him coming to visit some and be good friends (with benefits, let's face it) and that I was willing to let him back into my life in some aspects. Amazingly, he said he was game. Am I sure this is the same guy as the last 10 times we tried to make it work?!

So we shall see. He did end up staying the night (no further details to be shared), and I left him asleep in my place with directions on how to lock up when he leaves (no key was given). And now I am pissed that I have to work today, but he actually has a job interview at a local restaurant. With my luck, he will get a job here and then I have just opened world's biggest can of works ever! What was I thinking?

Oh yeah, I was bring a girl!

Currently listening:
Blurring the Edges
By Meredith Brooks
Release date: By 06 May, 1997

No comments: