Thursday, April 21, 2005

What Happens in Vegas, Gets Blogged in Vegas

Ahhhhh....vacation. Not one of the greatest words of all time, but definitely up there in the top 10. To get away and relax (while wasting all the money I do not have). This is the life.

Day 1
The plane trip was pretty uneventful - it was nice to use my status to get a First Class seat and very odd that the flight attendant kept calling me Ms. Frank. Are you seriously telling me that she remembered all 24 passengers last names? She had to have a crib sheet stashed somewhere. She was cool though - I'm not complaining.

The airport is filled with slot machines and is eerie and abandoned at 6:30pm on a Wednesday, but easy enough to navigate and find your luggage. The shuttle to the hotel, The MGM Grand was quite commical actually. This odd, sort of redneck couple was sitting behind me and they were clearly Vegas virgins. They asked me 50 questions on the short ride over ("Where is the best buffet", "Can you win more by gambling off the Strip", and "Will the airplanes overhead keep us up all night>")...they cracked me up. I was good and didn't laugh at them - I answered their questions honestly and I think gave them some good advice.

Finally, arrival at the hotel, where I rolled my bag to the desk and was met with a very plesant young lady who checked me in. As she did her work, I looked around for Angie and saw her sitting in the middle of the lobby, but just far away enough that she couldn't hear me even if I used my full lung capacity. Don't you just love SMS-ing on cell phones? I messaged her to look up (and freaked her out in the process). We headed to the room and caught Smallville in the nick of time. Then we prettied ourselves up and headed out for dinner.

Dinner was Delmonico Steakhouse, an Emeril Lagasse restaurant. So since I know you all are interested, here is what I had:

Lemon-Lime Martini
Baby Mixed Greens Salad with Cornmeal Fried Shrimp and a Mustard Vinaigrette
Charbroiled Dry Aged Beef Sirloin with Bacon Cheddar Twice Baked Potato, Creole Tomato Glaze and Horseradish Cream
Double Chocolate Fudge Cake, Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Malted Crème Anglaise


The food was amazing and the meal itself was delightful. Our waiter played into Angie's bald-man fettish and as her chocolate martini really kicked in, I was afraid for his life more and more.

We came back to the hotel, beaten by the day and ready for sleep. Luckily, as we were settling in, the Late Late Show came on and Gerard was a guest...nice thing to go to sleep to. I had yummy Scotsman dreams all night and was loving the sleep, until my cell phone started buzzing at 5:20AM!!!!! Damn life.

So basically, my boss called to tell me "top secret" information, but telling me to cancel my trip to San Antonio and prepare for Alberquerque sometime in May...don't you love vague information, especially before the crack dawn. His first words were "I hope I didn't wake you" and "You don't have to worry about this until Monday." DUDE! At least he ended with a good karma statement "Have fun and win lots of money!"

Now I am ready to start Day 2 - you just have to wait and see what is gonna happen!

No comments: