Wednesday, April 27, 2005

You've Got to Know Where Your Towel Is

Movie Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

DON'T PANIC! - No spoilers ahead...

Zany, Madcap, Hilarious...just a few good words to describe the Garth Jennings vision that is Hitchhikers on the big screen. Now it has been about 100 years since I read any of the Douglas Adams books, but enough of it is fresh in my mind to make this a very nice homage to the books.

Now I questioned the casting of this movie, just like everyone else has at one point, but by the end of the movie, Mos Def WAS Ford - no question in my mind. This movie is fun and ironic and keeps the voice of the writer, which is the most important thing to me.

Yes, there were some big changes and yes, a few breaks from the books themselves, but overall, it was a great ride and I really wanted to stay and watch it again immediately...and why couldn't I? That was the biggest disappointment.

And the combo team of Warwick Davis (as Marvin, the body) and Alan Rickman (as Marvin, the voice) were unmatched. Personally, I need a Marvin figure for my desk here at work, or maybe the knit doll of Marvin...hmmmmmm.

A definite must-see, if you are a fan of the books or not. You will really enjoy it...

Okay, one complaint, while Sam Rockwell was funny as hell playing the ever-nutty Zaphod Beeblebrox, the reveal of his 2nd head was just not right. I was well-prepared upon attending this movie that this item would not be true to the book, but it was still wrong on so many levels.

No comments: