Wednesday, April 13, 2005

There's No Place Like Home

Movie Review: The Amityville Horror

...especially in a house that is haunted by murders past.

So I am not sure where to begin, but I do have to start by saying that this flick was a bit gorey for my taste - and I am really glad I didn't eat dinner just before watching it - yes, that was me in the theatre with my hand over my eyes towards the end of the movie (insert sniggers here).

The basic story is this, a family by the name of Defeo were gunned down by young Ronny Defeo obeying the voices of the house. Then some fool real estate agent decides she should sell the house to a poor unsuspecting couple to make a quick buck and of course, the voices return to torture the new family.

Now, I know this is wrong, but how is that a possessed by pure evil Ryan Reynolds is just as sexy as the vampire-ass-kicking Ryan from Blade: Trinity? Not sure how that happened. And how odd is it to hear Melissa George sans espionage-doing psycho double-agent wife accent from Alias? Odd indeed.

Truly, I think this movie had its appropriate scares and Ryan's descent into madness (and the basement) was nice and freaky - as any good horror movie should be (and often has trouble doing when it is a remake of a classic). I was pleasantly surprised by this one and found that it was a good exercise for me to watch it, but as long as I understand I probably should never watch it again - that's just me and my weirdness.

The rest of you, if you like good and creepy horror flicks should go see this one when it opens this weekend - I think you will enjoy it. Just don't eat any spaghetti with marinara sauce just before entering the theatre...trust me!

No comments: