Saturday, April 02, 2005

The Sins of the Fever

Movie Review: Fever Pitch and Frank Miller's Sin City

It was a two movie night (as it used to be in the olden days) and we went for an off combination, but I always prefer to see the Smeak Previews...something about seeing the movies before anyone else. It is a window of opportunity I just cannot pass up. So basically, I picked the first movie and Angie picked the second (although, I really wanted to see Sin City, too).

First, Fever Pitch. Now, I am a Nick Hornby fan (High Fidelity, About a Boy), and this was one by the Farrelly Brothers (Bobby and Peter), the geniuses behind There's Something About Mary.

Now going in, I knew that there wouldn't be any hair gel jokes involving a Boston Red Sox player, but I knew that this had potential...and I was not disappointed. This was a very different turn for the brothers and I was pleasantly surprised - especially considering Jimmy Fallon was in it (c'mon, Taxi?!?)

Jimmy was pretty good, and I always enjoy Drew Barrymore - so this was a good match. And the best supporting actor there is, BASEBALL! Now, I'm not a huge Red Sox fan, but I don't dislike them either (I save that hatred for the Yankees). It was a very true repesentation of the dedicated fans in Boston and while some may think that is over the top - believe me, it isn't. This movie was funny and entertaining and HELLO, it brought Ione Skye out of hiding - you have to give them bonus points for that. That girl hasn't done a mainstream movie in over 10 years...

If you want a good date-type movie, especially that doubles as a baseball movie, go see Fever Pitch. I will say, that despite the challenges the brothers faced (Ok, NO one thought the Red Sox would have won last year, least of all the production company making the movie during the season), I think this one was a real home run!

Fast forward an hour, and you have Frank Miller's Sin City. Now, usually something like this is considered to be an adaptation of a book, graphic novel, comic book, etc...but this one, was a comic book on the screen - according to those who have read the books, some were frame for fram exact. So I ask you, what happens when you infuse Pulp Fiction, a beloved series of graphic novels and acrylic paints? You get this film, by film genius, Robert Rodriguez.

A non-stop parade of names and faces kept you involved, but it could have benefitted from being about 20 minutes shorter. I think the best performance was Mickey Rourke (although you wouldn't recognize him with all those prothetics) closely followed by - brace yourself - Clive Owen...yes, I said it, CLIVE! I think this is the kind of role his type of acting is good for.

I think, not having read any of the installments, this movie was entertaining, but not an meaningful as for the fans, devoted, insane fans of the series...but I can appreciate the masterfully constructed and almost too comic-like film. Not one of the best, but truly a great ride.

No comments: