Sunday, March 13, 2005

There Is a Seasoning (Turn, Turn, Turn)

Day 3 in San Francisco and we are all sick - except for the pregnant mom/wife/sister who is taking care of the rest of us.

So tomorrow is my brother's birthday and we were supposed to have a day of go-karting and Mexican food, but we decided being sick, it wasn't the time. So instead, I made homemade pancakes and oven baked bacon for brunch and we did a birthday dinner tonight. I usually make a lemon tart for Davis' birthday as he isn't big on sweets - but this time he wanted a lesson in Tarte Tatin (those of you who do not know, it is basically an open-faced, upside down apple pie with a fancy French name). He had made one for Valentine's Day and it didn't turn out and he wanted to learn the right way...enter his cheffing sister from ATL.

The Tarte turned out beautifully, and we are unsure what the difference was...lots of theories - but no proof.

Dinner utilized his birthday present from my parents...a rotisserie attachment for his Weber Kettle. We brined a pork loin and hooked it up on the spit and let it rotisse - or whatever the right term is. We also did Grilled Braised Leeks (thanks to Alton Brown and I did my Creamy Polenta with a Cabernet soaked Aged Cheddar cheese - now that is what I call GOOD EATS!

Maggie had a rough day - sleeping for most of it and coughing the rest of the time. She has all this congestion in her chest (as do I) and has not stopped coughing for two days. Odds are she will be home from school again tomorrow and we will probably both sleep most of the day.

It has been a good trip because I am spending time with my family, whom I love and miss a lot, but it has been a bad trip because we have all been sick and not up for doing much of anything. I am hoping that maybe I can get to Berkeley tomorrow and get some chocolate for the trip home, but I am thinking I might prefer to rest for my flight Tuesday morning.

Good thing I am coming back in June to meet my new niece/nephew (I'm voting for Noelle if it is a girl - it will be William if it is a boy).

Off to slumber-land...until the coughing fit I will have in the middle of the night. Thank goodness I thought to call my doctor at the crack of dawn today - without the meds, I would be in serious hell...

No comments: