Friday, July 15, 2005

Sweets for the Maladjusted?

Movie Review: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

This is one of those movies I have been waiting for, for quite a long time now. It's safe to say that my hopes were up and I had a very good chance of being let down. Well, I'm happy to say that I left the theatre quite content.

First, I loved the book by Roald Dahl, and I really enjoyed the original movie version, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, however, Johnny Depp really gave life to Willy Wonka in all his creepiness and this movie gave us insight as to why he is the way he is.

I was expecting this movie to be more different from the original movie, but in truth, while the story was very similar, this movie did a much better job bringing out the feelings in me that the book did. Bravo Tim Burton. I will say that the "demise" of the 4 rotten kids - Veruca Salt, Augustus Gloop, Mike Teavee, and Violet Beauregarde - played out much more creatively on screen this go-round. However, a lot of that can be attributed to today's technology. Violet's transformation into a giant blueberry was one of the movie's best moments!

The sets were amazing and were not green-screened. I felt like I was there, in the midst of this incredible wonderland of a chocolate factory. Burton paints an extraordinary picture that cannot be outdone once again!

I will say that this movie was a bit saccharine, but so was the original...the rotten kids get their due and Charlie, the boy who cares more about his family than himself, receives the greatest gift of all. Okay, beat me over the head with a shovel - but I didn't mind as much as I usually do.

I do have to give props to Deep Roy. Most of you are thinking...who? But he has done everything from dressing up as a Jawa to being a circus performer in Burton's Big Fish. Most of you will probably recognize him when you see him, but half of his credits are as a stuntman, not an actor.

Mr. Roy plays the Oompa Loompas - not just one, and not one who is then replicated by the magic of the movies, but over 165 Oompa Loompas shot separately. It sounds like he worked harder on this movie than anyone. He was magnificent and personally, I feel he should get a nomination (but I know that won't happen). He is well worth the $8 ticket.

If you loved the book and enjoyed the first movie – this is a must-see flick. If you have never read the book, this is the perfect time to sit down (after you finish Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) and read a children’s book.

No comments: