Monday, July 11, 2005

Behold the Wrath of Dennis

Not many people named Dennis in the world tend to leave such a path of destruction. It was one thing to name a storm Cindy (and then she totally wipes out Atlanta Motor Speedway - she must have lost many relationships to NASCAR and/or Indy racing)., but Dennis - that really instills no fear.

Well - times, they are a-changin.

The weather has arrived, and while many are evacuating homes and sitting out the storms, according to our CEO, another system is gaining speed ready to hit our coastline once again...and not only that, but Dennis - who is causing the current damage - isn't even a storm anymore...he is a Tropical Depression...go figure.

So here we are - middle of July, and its wet and stormy and has only just begun. So, I did a little digging to find out what other silly names we have coming for the rest of the storms this year (each year, the World Meteorological Organization picks 21 names for the year (names are used on a six-year rotation) - every so often a year is bad enough that they have to start over at A). I'm sure you are wondering why such cool letters as Q and X are skipped...well, duh!? How many different names can you come up with that start with Q and X?

For 2005 (drum roll please), here are the Atlantic Tropical Storm names...
Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Dennis
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irene
Jose
Katrina
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rita
Stan
Tammy
Vince
Wilma


Wow - I'm shaking in my boots. I enjoy the rain, but I hate the destruction. People rained out of house and home. Devastation of entire cities - who is gonna create the device that sends hurricanes back out to sea, or at least that shielding device that does not allow them to touch down on shore? Where are all the geniuses when you need them?

Maybe someone needs to make a movie about such a device before anyone gets the idea to build one...

On a personal note - tonight is supposed to be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. However, I am so ill, I cannot stop hurling and I have a killer migraine to go alone with it. Currently, I am biding my time until Mike gets into work so I don't feel so guilty about going home and getting into bed...even the big boss, who got on the elevator with me this morning, looked at me like I was dying...I tried smiling through the pain, but he saw right through me. Of course my boss is on vacation, which adds another layer of guilt (and oh, did I mention that Vanessa is sick and not here either?).

So odds are, my passes will go to waste and I will go home and pass out for 18 hours...at least 2 of the 4 will be used with no problem.

No comments: