Monday, July 25, 2005

Fred Has Lost His Touch (Movie Spoilers Ahead)

Hello, my name is Lindy and I am 32 and a Harry Potter addict...deal with it!

Let me fill you in on an interesting set of developments on the local Atlanta radio scene this past weekend. I listen to the morning show on 99X - I enjoy the show quite a bit - most days - but I mostly listen because a friend of mine is on it (Leslie has been previously praised on this blog quite a bit). Anyway, I listen to the show starting at 5:30 each morning until I get into work around 7:00 - sometimes 7:30, sometimes 8:00. Some days when Leslie isn't on, I will tune to NPR instead, depending on how entertaining the show may be.

So Friday, I'm driving into work and listening to the show. Leslie does her news brief and mentions some girl from Kansas or something who was disappointed in the ending of Harry Potter Book 6. 'Nuff said...move on. Not for Freddy Toucher - oh no! He has to start making fun of Harry Potter and this 13-year-old girl from middle-America. Anyway, some jackass caller says he read the book and threw it down at the end he was so upset with the ending. Leslie jumps in and says, don't ruin it! But no, not enough for Fred - before I realize it, he asks "What happens?". I hear 2 words. I can't turn off the radio fast enough - I even swerved the car. I decide to just switch the station, but I can't with the power off.

I turn the radio on soon enough to hear the cast talking about how the adults that read these books are parents of kids, but truly guys, many adults without kids read these because they are so entertaining! So I switch to NPR and let that be that.

I get home and get my mail and there is my Entertainment Weekly with Daniel Radcliffe on the cover. I start flipping through and find disclaimers warning of book spoilers, so I put the magazine under something heavy and move on. I spend all weekend avoiding any media so the ending cannot be ruined. All I know is someone dies, which the author had released a couple of months back. Crisis averted!

Day 4 of Pottergate and I am stupid enough to listen to 99X again this morning. They decide they are going to replay what happened on Friday so Harry Potter fans beware...then he says it...3 little words (and actually, Jimmy may have done that, but I cannot be sure). Before I could switch the channel, they blurt out (clearly on purpose) the 3 words that spoil the ending for me. I yelped as I could not get to the other room to turn off the radio fast enough...assholes!

So since it is ruined (I'm only 1/3 of the way through the book), I continue to listen. 2 blocks from work, Toucher is reading one of the 200+ nastygrams he got over this fiasco and reads "if you want to really piss off listeners, the culprit is..." So NPR it was, and will be until I complete the book.

Look, I do my best to support the station since they do keep me well supplied with movie passes and I only end up paying for half of my yearly flicks, but this time he went too far!

So Fred - let me just throw out a few for you:
The Crying Game - She's a MAN!
The Sixth Sense - Bruce Willis is really dead!
The Usual Suspects - Kevin Spacey is Keyser Soze
Fight Club - Ed Norton is really Tyler Durden!
Psycho - His mother is dead!
Vertigo - She was already dead and was being impersonated by a twin!
Gosford Park - The maid did it!
Presumed Innocent - The wife did it!
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Darth Vader is Luke's father!
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi - Luke and Leia are siblings (ewww....they kissed)
Planet of the Apes - It's Earth!
Identity - All the people are in John Cusack's head - he's crazy!
Vanilla Sky - It's a dream!

No comments: