Thursday, July 07, 2005

Light My Fire?

Movie Review: Fantastic Four

Well, Leslie strikes again. I'm not sure what I would do without her feeding my habit (while saving my bank account) and I hope I never have to find out. She is one of the coolest people I know and I consider her a dear friend...but one of these days I have to figure out how to repay her (or do something really nice that doesn't pale in comparison).

So tonight was another Marvel movie - and this was one that I grew up with...but let me tell you, the Human Torch wasn't exactly this hunky in the comic books. He can light my fire anytime, and I don't even know his name!

I have to admit, I went into this movie with really low expectations. I mean, I heard not-so-great things about it, and c'mon, the Marvel flicks are hit or miss most of the time (Spidey 1 and 2 - hits...Hulk - big miss). But look - it was free!

Now, I will admit that this movie makes fun of itself...a lot! There is some sappy love story elements and soap-like qualities to all the characters and overall, not as big a disappointment as I expected...that said - save your bucks and watch it on HBO or pop it in your Netflix queue.

The backstory was fabrication - these guys were not radiated by a space cloud to get their powers based on the emotions they were feeling at the time (I'm sorry, what emotion makes you stretchy, again?). What do 5 people do with their new super powers? Hide in a penthouse apartment and annoy each other a la Big Brother. Not only that, but their "powers" are used for cheap laughs that really don't further the story (let me use my stretchy arms to get toilet paper from the closet across the hall while on the crapper because, as a man, I was too lazy to handle it when I finished the last roll) - at least it's honest. Most men would probably use their powers for such a noble cause! And, of course, we have Jessica Alba playing Invisible Girl, so let's make sure to catch her naked a lot...ummmm ok? And the only way a hunky stone-man can get a girl is if she is blind?! C'mon Hollywood, are we that stupid?

That said, the effects were kind cool, and the couple of scenes of them using their powers for good were at least good enough to make us remember that these are Super Heros - but overall, this one fell short. I will say, it helps to dislike a movie less when you go in with such low expectations - at least I can't be disappointed. Next time, I think I'll just go see Batman Begins, again.

On a side-note, I had to find myself a new movie-going buddy so half of these passes don't go to waste. I will say that it is definately different (and weird), but at least he sits on the correct side of me. But somehow, it isn't really right. I will say, at least he doesn't talk through the movies. It's nice, but it seems to be causing a stir - and it really shouldn't be.

I do have something more to report - but I think I will save it for morning. But basically TPTB determined that we needed to lay off more employees. I understand why, but it saddens me. I've been there and while some people welcome the opportunity to leave, others just don't. More tomorrow.

No comments: