Friday, July 08, 2005

The End of an Era...The Beginning of a Pain in my Arse

Yesterday was a blow to the heart strings...but somehow, I guess I should have expected it.

Lay offs - the worst part of any job, I think. At least this time, I'm not the Manager of 60-some-odd of these folks having to motivate until the end of the job. Personally, a nice severance package should be enough for some people, but I know how hard it can be to muster the effort when you know the company is letting you go.

Last time this happened, I was one of the ones being let go, but I was lucky enough to find a new job - and some of these folks will be that lucky too. We have a lot of great resources who just got burnt-out where they are now. (There are the ones who haven't cared about anything more than a paycheck for some time now and are probably thrilled to get a package like this).

Things like this are inevitable in this day and age and unfortunately, its the cost of doing business in 2005. So why am I complaining?

Well, my job keeps expanding...and expanding. Yet, it is just me handling all of CS and yet there are seven people handling TS. Look, we are laying off some good people - let me hire a couple of them (3 would be fabulous, but I can live with 2). But no - just one - and even then, they won't report to me, so CS still won't be their main focus....HELP ME!

I feel sorry for my friends losing their jobs yet here I am, still employed, and bitching about my job. But truly - I have no time in my day each day. I haven't eaten lunch this week because I have no time. Things just keep piling up and I am working 10 hours a day just trying to tread water. Oh yeah, did I mention I am now traveling to the Philippines again because of this? Big shocker! Okay Lindy, just drop everything that was deathly important last week and now spend every waking hour preparing for 10 new challenges...thanks.

While I appreciate the confidence, I need help. And not only help, but more time (and preferably an office so I can actually get work done. At the very least I need Violet's "purple bubble" (as Maggie calls it) force-field to keep the little stuff off my desk and give me 8 hours of isolation and complete quiet so I can concentrate and get some things accomplished. ARGH.

At least now, it is Friday. Two days off that I truly need to survive my current state - and I don't have anyone to truly vent to anymore. Somehow this job got a lot harder in the last 3 or 4 months - who knew that losing a best friend would impact every aspect of my life...certainly not me.

Out of respect, I won't be posting my days remaining to sabbatical until after September, but it cannot come fast enough! Did I mention that not only is one of my co-workers going on Maternity Leave, but the other one is leaving to go to another job...I'm the only Senior Manager left to handle 3 lines of business - oh goody! Someone get me a Valium....quick!

No comments: