Sunday, June 26, 2005

That's All Brad, Sweetheart

Movie Review: Mr. & Mrs. Smith

In my pledge to have a movie weekend, I found that sleep is preferable to most of what's out there right now...but I still want to see them all - you know, get back on track. I won't get 100 seen, but I can try and get to 50, at least. The events of Q1 really put a damper on my movie-seeing and this is distressing.

So, movie #1 - Brad :) Okay, so really it was M/M Smith, but Brad Pitt is always enjoyable to watch. But the true draw of this movie was Doug Liman. It's funny to me, but as I get older, it seems to be more about the writers and directors than the stars (the starts still have a lot of influence, but not as much as in the past).

Anyway, if you look at his track record as a director alone - Swingers, Go, The Bourne Identity - you see why his movies are a draw. There is an ebb and flow to them and the action is always so fluid and inticing. This movie was no different.

Now, there were slow parts and I found myself checking my watch in the last 30 minutes, but overall it was well done. The humor was there (with help from Vince Vaughn) to cut through the gunplay and death (very little blood here) and the chemistry is clear between Brad and Angelina Jolie - personally, I don't give a crap if they are or aren't...that's their business.

The movie was well worth the 2 hours and $6 I spent to see it - and odds are this one will end up in my collection in 6 months. Take the time to see it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

As a side note - those of you good at voice placement, have 3 challenges in this movie as there are 3 voices whose faces are never seen and all are uncredited.
1) Atlanta - Mr. Smith's boss - female voice
2) Father - Mrs. Smith's boss - male voice
3) The Therapist - male voice

I'm scary good at placing voices and musical scores - ask anyone who knows me well. So I can give you some hints about the 3 voices - see if you can place them.
1) Think Stella, Mace or Tina Turner
2) Think Mary's Dad or The Thing's Childs
3) Think Kent the Blind scientist

No comments: