Friday, June 24, 2005

Buried Alive

So my first day back at work was a nightmare, especially since I slept none Wednesday night.

I came into work with over 500 emails (all of which I have to at least glance at). The good news is I only had 3 meetings, but the bad news is that I had too much work to do to have time for anything else. I think it might take me a few days to dig myself out of this mess. I tried to keep up at least a little bit while on vacation, but Maggie wouldn't hear of it.

So the day was pretty smooth actually, even though I could have fallen asleep while sitting there digging through emails. Until around 11:15am there was suddenly 3 people at my desk all demanding attention. Luckily, Vanessa and I had planned to have lunch at 11:30, so it was only a 15 minute free-for-all. But still, I was mid-meeting and people just walked up and started talking, including 1 director. "Yes, I had a fabulous vacation, but I really have no time to talk about it as I am burried alive"... Now if I only I was nice enough to say that out loud.

So the rest of the day was pretty decent having lunch with Vanessa and Dani was fun - we all got to vent about the idiots we work with (more like good people acting idiotic) and catch up on the last 12 days.

I got back to my desk and immediately got into a meeting with a Product Manager about some things coming down the pike when I got an instant message asking if I was at my desk...I ignored it since I was on the phone. I got up and went to talk to Vanessa about some ideas to handle this Business initiative and saw stupidity at work! (Not Vanessa, someone else). Anyway, it has caused me to need to vent...

Work time is for work...I am a big believer in that. Now, it is hard when you have friends where you work who want to socialize, and 5 minutes of that is okay from time to time (especially since I don't have time for more than that), but handling personal issues in the middle of a conference call is unprofessional and embarassing. I feel for people who have things going on in their lives (frankly, who doesn't), but you have to check it at the door. If you have something to deal with (money problems, relationship problems, friends or family who are sick, etc - kids don't count), then take the time off to deal with it. Don't have calls about bounced checks in your cube in the middle of a meeting you are supposed to be representing your department in. Do NOT answer your cell phone in the middle of a conference call, and do not drop off an important call to deal with a lawyer or doctor - HELLO, this is what voicemail was invented for. There is nothing, except a sick child really, that cannot wait 15 minutes for you to return a call....what's worse is then lying about it to your superiors. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY, DUDE!

Okay, (sigh). I feel a little better. But if you have proven yourself in any position, no matter what it is, and have earned a little slack to deal with outside issues, you will know it. But if you are more of a hinderance to your group than a help and then decide to blow off important work to deal with home stuff (especially when you went through the same thing 6 months ago and made exaggerating pronouncements surrounding said issues), do everyone a favor and take a leave of absence and give them a reprieve! Know your limits and act like a grown-up (or at least the age you are).

Okay, so maybe I wasn't quite finished, but I think I have said my peace this time around.

So another night of not really sleeping, and I really want to take today off...I think I will go into work and talk to my boss about leaving around 2 - I need to readjust to East Coast time before I lose my mind!!!!

I do miss Mags and Wils - October cannot come fast enough!

No comments: