Tuesday, November 22, 2005

To Market, To Market

An entire day at the Ferry Building Market and fancy food for lunch - what could be better? Squash Blossoms, Arugula, Asian Pears, Millions of Peppers, my idea of Eden.

So my family and I spent the day on the Bay shopping for fresh fruits and veggies for our Thanksgiving Dinner. We had a pleasant late lunch, including a sampling of breads, chocolates, fruits, and gelatos. And behold, we found the turkey of all turkeys...A Heritage Bourbon Red Turkey! This is the Porshe of turkeys. My brother and I saw red and jumped at the chance. We ordered ourselves one and walked away patting ourselves on the backs for being so alert as to find them.

These turkeys are more along the lines of the original turkeys in this country and have much more flavor then your regular white, almost tasteless birds. However, the deposit we put down on a 14-pound Red was $50...YIKES! So we changed our minds and decided spending $200 for a turkey was a bit extravagant.

Anyway, no worries, it is the Frank household and we can make an extravagant meal without such a bird...but I do want to try it at some point.

Nothing else exciting to report (not that the above is anything to write home about). Ahhhhh, the Bay Area. Oh, how I miss it!

No comments: