Monday, November 22, 2004

SpongeBob Square-Flop

Movie Review: The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie

Okay kids, spoilers ahead...

Can I just say, what a colossal disappointment. Now, look...I know, I'm 31 and this movie wasn't really meant for me, but even my 3-year old niece didn't like it and that says A LOT! She loves the TV show and has been SO looking forward to seeing The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. Wow, can I just say "Suck City?!"

First of all, I didn't go in expecting too much. The SpongeBob laugh for 90 minutes was enough to worry, but Maggie was so excited to see it, that I was excited. So the movie was disjointed and scary. I mean, too much live action and King Neptune pointing a firey trident at poor Mr. Krabs. SpongeBob and Patrick under a heat lamp bring dried out to sell to tourists, complete with SB's arm breaking off because he was so brittle...a bit much, folks! Poor Maggie was fussing and climbed into my lap to bury her face. This movie couldn't end fast enough.

Now she did enjoy the credits and the scenes with the pirates, but that was about it. She kept giving me this look like - "Why did you let me see this, Aunt D?" Anyway, she took more enjoyment from watching the short film clips on Pixar's website. I could have saved myself $40.

Anyway, things are great here - Maggie misses her mommy and daddy, but for the most part has enjoyed spending time with me (and her Gramma and Grampa). We played together and read books and stuck stickers and played with her stamps. All in all, a good weekend! Popcorn, hotdogs, ice cream...easy kid to please.

Anywho, not much more to report for today. Hopefully we can pull off The Polar Express this week sometime to try and erase the horrid SB experience!

No comments: