Friday, November 19, 2004

I Have Not Failed. I've Just Found 10,000 Ways That Won't Work!

Movie Review: National Treasure

So a wise man once said, that "It isn't the successes that teach you, it is the failures. If you always do everything right, how would you ever learn anything?" My grandfather was a pretty awesome character. He was one of the lesser known (okay, unknown) inventors of my time. He was able to look at just about anything, and figure out a way to improve it, fix it, etc...Basically, building a better mousetrap.

This has been a crazy, and albeit crappy week overall. There has to be something in the water or air, as people have just been rude and obnoxious. I've been insanely busy at work, and my quiet little corner has been discovered, so now there is little rest for the weary.

Rewind to Wednesday night - I attended a screening of National Treasure. God bless Nic Cage. He really helped me to escape my cruddy week to a little adventure tied up in a snazzy History 101 bow. Now Angie, having read The Da Vinci Code did not enjoy this movie nearly as much as I did. If you want to know why, read her blog review.

If you want my opinion, and let's face it, you are reading my blog, this movie was exactly what the shrink ordered. Take Stanley Goodspeed, add a dash if Indiana Jones and a smidge of Thomas Crown, and you have historian Benjamin Franklin Gates fighting for validation of his family's long journey to find the hidden treasure of the Founding Fathers. Now, you have to suspend your disbelief for a couple of hours and take in all the historical facts and puzzle pieces that make this movie so much fun. Don't go in thinking you can waltz right into the National Archives and boost the Declaration of Independence in order to find the hidden treasure map on the back. And don't forget, "X" never, ever marks the spot.

This movie is an entertaining game of cat and mouse where Nic and often misunderstood bad-guy Sean Bean race to find the riches left behind by the Knight's Templar. Pretty cool, if you ask me. And one point I have to make:

In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
The people will waken and listen to hear
The hurrying hoof-beats of that steed,
And the midnight message of Paul Revere.


The answer is 2, folks! The British came by sea...

Anyway, if you enjoy being entertained, and don't go in expecting the newest Raiders of the Lost Ark, you should truly enjoy this movie. I know I'll buy this one on DVD when it comes out next year!

Next stop? Maggie-central! I hop on a plane this afternoon for San Fran, in anticipation of spending 10 fabulous days with the cutest 3-year old there ever was. So look for reviews of The Polar Express and who can forget, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. I'm still working on Monday and Tuesday, but I will have spent the weekend with Magalicious and nothing can put a damper on that! I'll be posting from SF, not to worry.

Is it time for my flight yet??


No comments: