Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love

So yesterday ended up being very odd, yet very satisfying. I got a phone call at work (my fault, I gave The Guy my work number) and I knew I should just let it go to voicemail...I had a feeling. Sure enough, The Guy was on the other end of the phone and wanted to talk to me. He wanted something and he was quite smart about how he went about it.
I was annoyed at Chester - as usual. I had been working hard all day and gotten some praise from my co-workers and some higher-ups and was quite pleased with myself. I made the mistake of defending myself when one of his unprovoked verbal attacks came my way and this prompted him (and he says he was kidding) to tell a Director not to give me positive feedback as it would "go to my head." At least said Director was nice enough to give me a heads up. Moral of the story - I was annoyed and needed a pick-me-up. And The Guy swoops in like Captain America. He wanted to meet me. So I agreed.
I told him to meet me around 5pm at the Starbucks up the street from work (okay, so there is a Starbucks in my building, but too many work people go there and the last thing I want to do is bring The Guy colliding with work).
I drove to Starbucks, figuring it was a public place and wouldn't have to worry about him becoming all hands. Wrong! So we are sitting in the corner table, talking about life (catching up mostly) and he puts his hand on my knee...and I didn't make him move it (1st mistake). Then this bubbly girl walks up and throws her arms around The Guy's neck and is like "Ive missed you, honey!" Okay - this annoyed me (not sure why).
Anyway, turns out they went to high school together at Pace (I totally blocked out her name), but The Guy did introduce me as his girlfriend, much to Bubbly Girl's dismay. Okay, I'm not his girlfriend but I wasn't going to embarass him. So she finally left and we got back to talking. He wants me to give him a shot to prove he has grown up, taken responsibility in his life, yada...yada...yada!
For some reason, The Guy had parked his car like 5 to 10 blocks away and I'm too nice. So I drove him to his car, which, did I mention, was parked behind a grocery store that I'm sure half my office frequents? So I pulled in across from his car, and he leaned over to kiss me goodbye (supposedly innocently) and I just melted. I lost all sense of reason and will power at that point. I leaned in and kissed him again (you know how your body just remembers someone - very dangerous). Next thing I know, we are making out in the back seat behind the freakin' grocery store. Did I mention how I lost all sense of reason?
So I finally kicked him out of the car and told him I needed time and space to think about this. Do I want to try this again when the past 12 times have worked out poorly? I don't think so, but I apparently convinced him to give me the chance to work this out on my own. Besides, I have plans every night this week and really don't have time to think about any of this.
So - today is a new day. I am in a fabulous mood - refusing for anything (even Chester) to bring me down. I had wonderful lobster dreams and The Guy didn't call me in the middle of the night to rudely interrupt such lovely dreams. So wonderful. I'm getting some space, I'm giddy, I even have a bit of the smirks today. Ahhhhhhh...life is GREAT!
By the way, going to be in tears tonight as I am going to a screening of Finding Neverland. I packed some Kleenex! I'm going to ignore the 3rd wheel feelings I'm sure I will have tonight as Angie and I actually take someone with us to this movie (which we try our best never to do). Nothing can ruin this day!

No comments: