Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sleepless in Mumbai

Current mood: worried

Or Bombay for those of you who are not aware.

So day I-don't-know in India and I am ready to be on the way home. This has been a crazy-fast trip and it has completely tuckered me out! We have seen some scary sights here in Mimbai - the poverty, the beggars - it has been eye-opening. Traci seemed much more shocked than I have been, but again, I prepared myself for the very worst...still, it hits home.

I have pictures, but came overseas without a way to download them from my dad's camera (yes, I have NO digital camera of my own). I am old-fashioned...I use film and frame shots with different lens, etc...one day someone will give me a digital back for my Canon and all will be right with the world. Until then, you guys have to wait to see such devastation.

On a sour note, as we were packing up to leave the last call center 6 hours ago, I took the opportunity to spend someone else's money to call home...no one answered...hmmm. So I rang my dad's cell...still nada! Okay, in the world of cell phones, this is odd at 4:30pm on a Wednesday. I called my mom - and she seemed off her game - clearly trying to hide something. Basically, they were at the hospital!

So apparently my dad is somewhat okay - thank god - but he had lost a lot of blood and was close to needing a transfusion. So this happened 8 years ago and due to a heart problem (very minor), he takes blood thinners. Fortunately, that fixes the heart problem...unfortunately, that means that when he bleeds, his blood doesn't clot. This is very dangerous!

Anyway, he is staying in the hospital for a few days and is on clear liquids only. He hopefully will be out of the hospital by the time I am stateside, but I am not 100% convinced. Thank goodness for Traci being over here with me - she gets it and has a way of talking me into not worrying...how does she do that?

So this is most likely my last India post - we are headed to shop after we have breakfast (saris, spices, toy auto-rickshaws, buddahs apparently - this is a Hindu society, not Buddist). Luckily, we have an Indian National taking us on our spree, so we shoudn't have to worry about haggling or getting ripped off...plus, she knows where to go and who to see!

So while you are all sleeping, I will be shopping - my least favorite pasttime ever! Then we can take a nap and head to the airport for Amsterdam and more little Blue Delft houses full if liquor! Then HOME! Damn, I want my bed and my XBox...and my dad, of course!

No comments: