Saturday, August 12, 2006

Dramatic Pause

Current mood: exhausted

Hello my friends - thanks guys for sending all your good thoughts for my dad - this is why I love you guys :)

My dad is much better - they actually let him go home a day early...but my mom is watching him like a hawk! I had dinner with them when I got home last night (meatloaf and mac n cheese - yum!) - thank god for American home cooking! He is in good spirits and is eating real food - but is resting a lot. He was very happy to watch his Braves win!

So I am off to get my hair cut and something...letting Brenda the hair goddess decide what else to do with me :) But, I have plenty to report about my flying experience thanks to the idiot terrorists.

SO...Thursday was the day - the day that some damn fools were going to blow up airplanes over the Atlantic on their way to US destinations...lucky for me I was flying over the Atlantis to a US destination...that made for security HELL!

Flight 1: Mumbai to Amsterdam. A NorthWest partnered with KLM flight. We got to the airport to the huge masses of people (mind you, we really didn't know what all was going on, just bits and pieces). When checking in, they gave me a sheet of paper that stated: You cannot carry any liquids or gels in your carry-on items - this things MUST be checked. The nice lady at the NWA counter said "you know, toothpaste, hand lotion, contact solution." So I removed the Visine and hand lotion from my purse and quick put them in my suitcase. She told me I would have to consume the bottle of water in my backpack by the time I got to security. I told her that would be no problem, it was like 80 degrees in the airport.

We made our way through Immigration without any problems and proceded to the Business Class Lounge for some more liquid. We passed the crazy security line and decided that we would have a quick drink and then go get in line. An hour passes and we were STILL in that line and it had barely moved. Our flight was going to begin boarding in 20 minutes and there were still 50 people in front of us. NWA ladies were walking around putting carry-on tags on every purse, backpack, laptop bag, etc.

Then, up walks our flight crew. They skipped the line (fine), but we saw all the liquid and gel items they had in their bags as they were discussing how they would be fighting for their toothpastes and lipsticks. Apparently, the rules do not apply to flight crews - they made it through with no problem.

Finally, it was our turn. I put my bags on the belt for x-ray and walked over to get frisked by the militant Indian lady. I walked over to the x-ray and grabbed my bags...but wait! Now you have to get your bags hand-searched. So, I got in that crazy line. By now, our plane was boarding. The line did not move...there were like 2 security guys for a line of 50 people. I happened to glance behind me and saw a table with 3 security guys and only 6 people - quick!

Next was the fun of getting every item I own pulled out of my purse and backpack - then even went through the cash in my wallet! The did not take anything, but stamped my little baggage tags with the big OK and let me go to the plane...YEAH!

We get to the boarding door and the lady says "Business Class only!" This was fine, since we were flying Business. She told us to walk on the jetway, but then see the security guys on the right or left...WHAT?! We have to get hand-searched AGAIN! AGAIN!

I walked up tot he table with 6 guys, all with plastic gloves on. They proceded to ask me 20 questions and again, pull out everything I own. The took my Lip Balm (yes, Angie, the good kind). I was miffed...especially since I knew I had like 6 tubes in my purse...money down the drain thank you. But, he only removed one...he missed checking the other side pocket. But the guy explained that it was a gel (actually no, it is a wax), but fine...take it. Youa re keeping me safe, right?

Next came the backpack and my medical kit. They pulled out every prescription bottle, every snack pack, every, everything. Then, they found my Epi-pens (for those of you who do not know, this is if I injest nuts by mistake and am about to die!). They pulled out the auto-injectors and shook them up and turned them over and then tried to deny me since it was liquid! Now comes the fight...I politely explained that this was emergency medication and that they could NOT take it from me. I tried to explain what it was for, while telling the guy to stop shaking it up and trying to break them open. Finally, they called over the head guy and he gave me the thumbs up.

Finally, I made it to the plane and to a comfy chair and all the water I could drink. However, Traci looked pissed off...not sure why. I gave her a little time to cool off before I walked over to her...she told me they took ALL her lipsticks - about $150 worth. Now understand, this was the 2nd hand search - the 1st one the guy said they were fine to keep! Traci had no way to check them; they just TOOK them. Raw deal...but underneath, you know they have to do this and its to keep us all alive. I respect this, but get some consistency, people!

After an hour delay (just waiting for all the passengers), we took off and headed for Holland! We hung out in the airport, bought fancy chocolates, avoided anything liquid and killed some time before the next flight...

Flight 2: Amsterdam to Atlanta. A KLM flight. To be continued....

No comments: